01 September 2009

Little girl, big city

HUZZAH I finally have official internet in my apartment. No more using suspicious free networks for me. One of my host mom’s daughters came over last to hook my computer up to a modem. She also speaks English, so that was a nice change. When we were eating dinner, my host mom told her daughter that I don’t eat very much because I want to watch my figure, and I tried to explain that I think I eat a normal amount, but I’m pretty sure it got lost in translation because they just shook their heads. She did say that I’m not like a normal American, though, because I’m not fat. Hahaha.

Well, week one in Moscow has ended. My thoughts so far? I love it here.

I love that I’m in a big city. There’s so many people, so many distractions, so much to look at, so much to do; I don’t have time to think. It’s awesome.

This weekend we were free from the Russian survival courses and sightseeing and could do whatever we wanted. It was a nice little break. Saturday the whole group met up with our TA from last semester (the university here sends a Russian student to Dickinson each semester to take classes and to teach us once/week). It was so awesome to see her again! We walked around a park called Tsarista Park. It’s HUGE. Fitting for the city, I suppose. It was a beautiful day, too - not too hot and not too cold.

Saturday was also one of the girl’s birthday, so after gallivanting around the park we went to her host mother’s for a big birthday dinner. The food here is so good. So so so so so good. I was actually scared that instead of the Freshmen 15, I would gain the Russian 15. Thankfully we walk around so much that I really don’t need to worry.

I’m hesitant to mention this next part because I don’t want people to read this and think “Aha, I knew it, Russia is a bad evil place.” (Also to any relatives reading this, don't freak out, k?) So, as you read this, please don’t let your opinion become too skewed.

There are exactly two things I am afraid of here. One: that I’ll burn the apartment building down with my hair straightener or computer being plugged in, and two: the police. If they stop you and ask for your documents, chances are they’ll say “These are not in order” and then say you have to pay a fine or go to the police station with them. The “fine” they ask for is actually a bribe. Apparently, the only police who are to be avoided are the older ones who carry guns; the younger ones who walk around in groups are basically there to make everything seem safer. And really, unless you’re doing something to attract attention, i.e. breaking a law, the police shouldn’t stop you. …unless you’re speaking English around the older ones, then they might stop you since they know they can scare you into bribing them.

I really don’t like that. Police are supposed to make you feel safe; instead I’m super paranoid when they’re around.

On the other hand, I don’t particularly like police in any country. It’s not like American police are always of the best character, and corruption is everywhere. Being scared of the police is definitely not unique to Russia.


I think I’m going to learn a lot about Russian culture and learn many new words from watching TV with my host mom. We’re so cute; I’ll finish studying and go sit down to watch TV, and she’ll try to explain what’s going on. We usually watch soap operas and dubbed films, most of which are American. The other day she was watching the news and she called me into the room saying “Kara! Look! Michael Jackson!” There’s also a superawesome channel called the Culture channel; the other night one of Chekov’s plays was on, and they’ve also had documentaries and stuff like that.

My host mom and I get along really well which is a big relief. The only thing is… I’m pretty sure she thinks I’m a moron. I don’t understand everything she says so I’m forced to smile and nod (which I’m the master at so it seeeeeems like I understand, but um…I don’t). Smiling and nodding actually works wonderfully, most of the time. Sometimes she’ll say something which requires a response, though, and I’ll just be sitting there smiling and nodding while she waits for an answer. It also took me a freakishly long time to figure out how to open the door from the inside, and I constantly stumble over my Russian and probably sound stupid when I try to explain something to her. Like I said, moron. A nice and likeable moron, but a moron nonetheless.

Today we have our only class in English, called Russia Today. It's a three hour long lecture and we already had an introduction to the course/super fast review of Russian history last Tuesday. I like the professor, he's funny and speaks English well. Our Russian classes don't start until Thursday (or maybe Friday), when more foreigners get here. I'm pretty nervous about the Russian classes. They'll all be in Russian and our group will be split up according to the level of our Russian. Scary much? At least we'll be with other foreigners; they're not just throwing us into class with Russians who obviously speak Russian fluently.

That's all for now, time to walk to the metro!

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, the police are a bit scary here too. I was cat called by a policeman. Yeah, nice. My Argentine friend told me that his cousin got in an accident cause he was driving drunk. My friend got out of the car about 3 blocks before the accident, but the people in the accident were injured, putting 2 people in the hospital. The only thing that happened? They paid off the cop to say that the cousin wasnt drunk while driving. It was just an accident. In another incident, my friend´s mom bribed someone with a box of wine (he was speaking too fast for me to figure out what he had done...)

    also, taxi drivers here = bad bad people. i keep hearing bad bad things about taxi drivers. SCARY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/9/09 18:06

    When I was on that Mission trip to Guadalajara, we had about an hour bus ride every day out to the Church we were working with. One day we were pulled over, the bus driver went outside, came back in, our host handed him the money for the bribe for the police, he paid them and we went on our way.......DJ

    ReplyDelete