13 September 2009

8000 words

Pictures!



Musicians in the metro. So pretty.



This is in a park about a ten minute walk from my apartment; it was all decorated for День Города (Moscow's Birthday).


A little sample of Moscow driving, insane style.


...and a tour bus named Sputnik. How clever.



This is a cool fountain tunnel thing at a park near Red Square.



Last Sunday one of the girls from Dickinson and I cooked (we also decided it is going to be a weekly tradition of yummy Russian food making). This is баклажаная икра ("baklazhanaya ikra"), or eggplant caviar. Worry not, there is no caviar to be found in this dish -- just eggplant, onions, tomatoes, carrots, sunflower seed oil, and water all cooked together into a delicious mush which is then spread on bread. ..or if you're as obsessed with this stuff as I am, you can eat it with basically everything.


When my host mom makes баклажаная икра, she adds this mystery vegetable which she called капуста, but that translates to cabbage. This is definitely not cabbage.
*edit: after many people saying "Um, it's zucchini" I looked up the word for zucchini which, when said by my host mom, sounds remarkably like the word for cabbage. So this is zucchini/marrow, a bigger version of zucchini. Who knew.



This is where Gogol is buried. Gogol is one of my favorite authors; he's so clever and witty and sarcastic. I've read Dead Souls in English and bought it in Russian. So far I'm about three pages in. A good start, I'd say.

2 comments:

  1. That vegetable looks like a marrow to me. Though I don't know what Americans call it. It's a type of squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15/9/09 02:55

    The plentiful zucchini! Have you forgotten the delicous zucchini bread??? The pictures are great and even though eggplant by itself I won't eat.......looks good all cooked up like you have it there. Loveya kid. DJ

    ReplyDelete