29 March 2010

Happy ever after in the market place

Just a quick note in case anyone is worried about the metro bombings:

I'm ok, everyone from Dickinson is ok, we're all ok.
Our classes don't start that early, so no one was out at the time of the attacks.

Not gonna lie, I feel a little weird. I don't actually feel unsafe, it's just strange to be this close to it all. You hear about terrorist attacks and horrible things happening everyday, but I've never been so close to it.
Growing up isn't so fun sometimes.

It's funny (well "funny" might not be the best word here, but let's stick with it), I was thinking the other day: Moscow is so honest. It doesn't hide the bad. Old Soviet structures in need of repair are crumbling apart; homeless people are sleeping in the metro and on the streets, huddled together in underground passages; packs of stray dogs are running around, searching for anything to eat; thousands of people have come from provincial towns to somehow make enough money to survive; shady deals and corruption aren't uncommon. In spite of all that, maybe because of all of that, I really appreciate Moscow. I appreciate its often harsh honesty. Moscow isn't sugarcoated, and that's refreshing.
Of course when things aren't sugarcoated, they can be hard to handle.


But,
the Russians sill love the Beatles
and life still goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment